The aim of a Ph.D. is to demonstrate independent scientific working. This includes the realization of a Ph.D. project as well as the writing of the doctoral thesis.
All registered students are entitled to take part in the doctoral studies. Upon completion of the doctoral studies graduates should possess the following skills:
- Research competences as a prerequisite for independent scientific working
- Interdisciplinary competences in order to realize research projects across different disciplines
- Key competences to enhance knowledge and project management as well as internationally accepted publication strategies
- Proficiencies for qualified teaching
- Support for research cooperations via the integration into exchange progammes and participation in congresses
Good scientific practice
The basis of the Ph.D. is the scientific work. You should make sure in your own work that you avoid scientific misconduct. At the same time the supervisor is responsible to recognize scientific misconduct and advise as well as support Ph.D. students regarding scientific matters. Further topics are summarized in our "Guidelines for good scientific practice" (Leitlinien guter wissenschaftlicher Praxis).
In the case of suspicion regarding scientific misconduct or other aspects that are not covered as part of other consultations, students and lecturers are free to contact the ombuds person at GSU at any time.