Advantage or disadvantage for long jumper Markus Rehm?
Do prosthetics give amputated long jumpers an advantage or disadvantage against able-bodied competitors? That was the central question of a scientific study conducted by the Institute of Biomechanics and Orthopaedics (German Sport University Cologne), National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology / Human Informatics Research Institute (Tokyo and University of Colorado Boulder), and the Department of Integrative Physiology (Boulder/Colorado).
Purpose of the study was to assess the accomplishments of long jumper Markus Rehm in consideration of different parameter jumping with or without prothesis. Through scientific experiments, it sought to ascertain if - and to what extent – Rehm’s performance is comparable to able-bodied athletes, or if he gains an (unfair) advantage has been ascribed by the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations), among others.
The results of the study will be presented (and Markus Rehm will comment the results) at a press conference on Monday, 30th of May 2016, 10 am, The German Sport & Olympic Museum (Deutsches Sport & Olympia Museum), Cologne. Press accreditation is required for the event, please see below.
- Markus Rehm (long jumper)
- Friedhelm Julius Beucher (President of the German National Paralympic Committee)
- Lars Bischoff (Manager Markus Rehm)
Presentation of the results of the scientific study by:
- · Prof. Dr. Wolfgang Potthast (Institute of Biomechanics and Orthopaedics, German Sport University Cologne)
- Dr. Hiroaki Hobara (National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology / Human Informatics Research Institute, Tokyo)
- Dr. Alena M Grabowski (University of Colorado Boulder, Department of Integrative Physiology, Boulder/Colorado)
The German Sport & Olympic Museum / Deutsches Sport & Olympia Museum Köln
Im Zollhafen 1
50678 Köln / Rheinauhafen
- Date: 30th of May 2016
- Admission until 9:45 am
- Start of the press conference: 10:00 am
- Admission to the press conference only after prior accreditation (in order of registration).
- All panelists will be available for quotes subsequent to the press conference.
+++ For accreditation please use the accreditation document +++