The University Council of the German Sport University Cologne consists of eight members. The chairman is Lothar Feuser. Univ. Prof. Dr. Ilse Hartmann-Tews, head of the Institute for Sport Sociology, is his deputy.
According to the University Freedom Law of 1st January 2007 (§ 14 University Law - UL), the University Council is one of the central bodies of the universities in NRW, with its own procedural rules. The current second period of office for the University Council at the German Sport University Cologne lasts until 28th November 2017.
The members of the University Council are appointed by the Ministry for Innovation, Science and Research for the state of NRW. Their period of office is five years. The duties of the board include electing the members for the President’s Office.
The current members are (in alphabetical order):
- Verena Bentele, until 2011 paralympics high-performance athlete and multiple Gold medalist (Cross country & Biathlon), since 2014 representative of disabled people for the federal government
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Bloch, head of the department of Molecular and Cellular Sports Medicine of the Institute of Cardiology and Sports Medicine (GSU)
- Lothar Feuser, former CEO of finances Toyota Deutschland GmbH
- Dr. Andrea Gotzmann, since 2011 head of the executive board of the National Anti Doping Agentur (NADA)
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Ilse Hartmann-Tews, head of the Institute of Sport Sociology (GSU)
- Prof. Dr. Elisabeth Pott, from 1985 until 2015 director of the Federal Centre for Health Education (BzgA)
- Jörg Schönenborn, since 2014 WDR television director, moderator of the press club
- Univ.-Prof. Dr. Mario Thevis, head of the Institute of Biochemistry (GSU)
The University Council of the German Sport University Cologne meets at least four times a year and has wide-ranging authorities. It makes decisions in collaboration with the President’s Office concerning the future strategic orientation of the university. Moreover, it not only elects the university management, it is also responsible for the supervision of this management. It has an advisory function to the university management.