The department covers a broad spectrum of teaching in the sports games. In addition to the specific teaching of the sports games of basketball, table tennis, and handball in the sports science and teaching degree programmes (Bachelor, Master), the department also addresses general sports-game-related (e.g., game skills, training science basics) and methodological basics (e.g., basics of statistics). The department offers a variety of teaching and practice-related literature and scripts to support student learning. The teaching of the department's staff has been awarded with teaching prizes by the German Sport University several times in recent years.
Every year, a large number of Bachelor, Master, and doctoral theses are supervised in the department, among others on the affiliated projects. The students have been able to win several prizes for young talent and advancement awards with some of their theses in recent years.
Advancement Award of the German Handball Federation:
- 2017 Category Bachelor’s Theses: V. Inzenhofer - “Personality Traits of Goal Keepers in the Sports Game of Handball – A Study on the Basis of the Five”
- 2019 Category Bachelor’s Theses: J. Thiele – “Systematic Game Analyses in the Sports Game of Handball – An Index for the Quantification of Offensive Playing Effectiveness as well as Potentials of Statistic Data Collection”
- 2022 Category Master’s Theses: L. Spanuth - “Quickplay in Handball – A Specific Tactic for Power Play as a Consequence of Time Penalties”
- Dr. Karsten Schul: 2013, 2018
- Dr. Timo-Klein Soetebier: 2016
- Dr. Frowin Fasold: 2017, 2020