Exchange semester at GSU
!!! IMPORTANT !!!
Due to extensive renovation works on the campus dorms A-C since summer term 2021, only a very small number of rooms will be available in dorm D. You will therefore have to look into alternative housing options yourselves - the international office team can provide you with a number of links that might be helpful.
Requirements for an exchange semester at GSU
Please note that only students from our partner universities can apply for a semester abroad at GSU. Before applying, you have to be nominated for an exchange semester at GSU by your home university´s international coordinator.
Other requirements are not necessary, although prospective students should speak either German or English.
For self-assessment regarding your language skills, you can use the self-assessment grid corresponding to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (see “Download” on the right).
How to apply
Students who intend to study at the German Sport University as exchange students have to apply via our online application portal “mySpoho” (see link on the right).
Prior to your online application via the portal, please prepare the following documents (if possible, in PDF format):
- Application form (see “Download” on the right)
- Transcripts of Records obtained in previous years of study
- A copy of your passport or ID card
- A copy of your European health insurance card (EHIC); non-EU citizens have to apply for a German health insurance at the latest upon arrival. A travel insurance is NOT sufficient! Please click here for further information on that topic!
- A passport photograph
Please note that our office cannot process your application without the required enclosures and signatures.
When you have prepared the documents mentioned above, please go to “mySpoho” (you can change the language to English).
- The first step is to create an account. Please choose the option for “international exchange students” and follow the instructions in the portal.
PLEASE NOTE: You do not need to enter a BID and/or BAD! These are optional fields and only relevant for full-time applicants.
You will have to agree that the GSU is allowed to send you emails to the email address given during registration by ticking a corresponding box.
- Following your successful registration, you will receive an email with a link to validate your account. Please make sure that you remember the password that you create during the registration process! You username will be indicated in the verification email - it is NOT your email address!
- As soon as your registration has been validated, you can start your application via the portal ("Start Application"). You must be logged in to your account.
IMPORTANT: Please choose the "exchange programme" option, NOT one of the Bachelor courses of study!
You will have the possibility to upload the documents mentioned above.
Important information for the application in the portal:
- The HZB/university entrance qualification is your school leaving certificate that enabled you to enter university for undergraduate studies. You can only enter German grades between 1 and 4. If you cannot convert your grade to the German grading system, just enter a “1” – the grade you have achieved in your school-leaving certificate is not relevant for your exchange application, but the field cannot remain empty in the portal.
- In the area “vocational training” and “military service”, just tick “no”.
- The upload field for the EHIC copy will only be available for EU citizens.
- Before submitting the application, please confirm your data by ticking the corresponding box.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please send an email to
Whether or not you require a visa and a residence permit to enter Germany depends on your nationality and the purpose of your visit. Please get in touch with your local German Embassy to find out which documents are necessary to study in Germany and take care to apply for it (if needed) in due time and well in advance. More information here.
!!! Please note that it is your own responsibility to clarify visa matters!!!
Deadlines for application
- 01st of August for the winter semester or the academic year
- 01st of February for the summer semester
You will be contacted after the application period has ended. You will receive all relevant information needed for your exchange studies (including information regarding the introduction days, course selection, etc.) via email. Please make sure to provide your correct email-address.